• 09Jun

    Changes to car hire abroad

    Changes to car hire abroad

    From the 8th June 2015, the paper counterpart to your photocard driving licence will be abolished. Allowing for the fact that some overseas car hire companies might not be immediately aware of this change, the AA recommends that you keep hold of your paper counterpart (if you intend to hire a car abroad) as well as:

    Contacting your car hire company before travel to check what evidence they’ll require
    Printing out your driving licence record from the DVLA website
    Obtaining a code from the DVLA’s ‘share driving licence’ service. This code will be valid for 72 hours and will give a third party access to your online driving licence record. You can find instructions here

    If you can’t get online to generate the code, you can call the DVLA on 0300 083 0013 and they’ll provide one for you.

    Happy travelling!






Leave a Reply